Thursday, March 7, 2013

In His Honor


Twenty-six years ago, my second child, Kyle Scott, was born with a coarctation (a pinched section) of his aorta. He underwent surgery, and the doctors told us that he'd come home in two weeks. Eighteen hours later--on March 7, 1987--Kyle died in my arms. I literally felt his last breath upon my face. Needless to say, I dove into a spiritual and emotional tailspin. Kyle's life and death seemed so senseless to me, and I simply couldn't accept the fact that it had happened without reason. So I embarked upon a journey to try and make sense of it all. The journey wasn't easy. I was filled with anger, hopelessness, and brokenness, all of which I kept well hidden from everyone except Rick. Twenty-four years ago, after a series of events very well orchestrated by God, I became a born-again Christian. 

I wrote these lyrics a few years ago. However, in light of today being the 26th anniversary of Kyle's death, they seem even more relevant to me now.

Nothing in Between
Vicki Scott Burns

The streets were his religion
Violence was his only mission
His life hung in the balance day to day
With a gun pressed to a head
He remembered words his brother said
About the One who died to bear his sin and shame
And he found Jesus in that alley
Hate no longer his reality
He saw the truth that hate had not let him see:
It's light or darkness--there is nothing in between

Drugs became her secret passion
Once taboo but now the fashion
A masquerade for what was hidden deep within
With a tube forced down her throat
She remembered words her daddy spoke
About the One Who paid the price for all her sin
And she met Jesus on that gurney
Fear no longer was her journey
She saw the truth that fear had not let her see:
It's light or darkness--there is nothing in between

We start out in the darkness
From the moment we begin
We've got to choose to let Light pierce us
We've got to choose to let Light in
We've got to choose to let Him in

My son's last breath upon my face
A nightmare time could not erase
A broken heart and an empty soul took hold of me
Cryin' at that tiny grave
I remembered words the preacher prayed
About the One Who holds my son and grieves with me
And I met Jesus in that graveyard
Pain no longer lord of my heart
I saw the truth that pain had not let me see:
It's light or darkness--there is nothing in between

It's light or darkness--there is nothing in between

Copyright © 2012-2014 by Bibleshareware.org, Inc. and by Vicki Scott Burns. All rights reserved. www.Bibleshareware.org

Although becoming a Christian did not change the harsh reality of my situation, it absolutely changed my perception of it. Where I once stood angry, I now stand joyful. Where I once stood hopeless, I now stand in hope for all eternity. Where I once stood broken, I now stand redeemed. The transformation is not complete, and will not be until I am welcomed home to heaven; but the transformation is real and continues to fill my life with purpose and joy.


I'd be lying to you if I said that this week has been easy. Facing the emotions of a birthday and the anniversary of a death of a loved one is never easy. Yes, my emotions have been intense this week. However, not all of them have been painful. Once again, God has reminded me of how thankful I am to have had Kyle for those three days. It may sound trite, but I truly would not be who or where I am today if I hadn't had those three days. 

It is with profound faith that I know I will hold Kyle in my arms again. Until then, I will hold Kyle in my heart while I hold Rick, Keaton, Brennan, Brittany, and Emma in my arms. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

No comments:

Post a Comment