Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Simple Sketch

A Simple Sketch
by
Vicki Scott Burns 

You could dress me to the nines 
and then take my photograph. 
Airbrush out the flaws and lines, 
add the features that I lack. 
I could primp, I could preen 
but all that would be seen 
is just a simple sketch of everything that He 
wants me to be. 

And if you could commission 
a Van Gogh or a Monet, 
a masterful rendition 
of my face he might portray. 
I could pose, I could sit 
but still in the end it 
would be a simple sketch of everything that He 
wants me to be. 

“A picture paints a thousand words,” or so the saying goes. 
So I paint my soul on canvases of poetry and prose… 

When this portrait session ends 
He’ll walk through my gallery: 
portraits hung for my defense 
of my faith’s reality. 
So I hope and I pray 
that these words will display 
more than a simple sketch of everything that He 
wants me to be. 

So I hope and I pray 
that my life will display 
the One that gave His life for me 
so that someday I might be 
more than just this simple sketch. 

Copyright © 2004-2014 by Bibleshareware.org, Inc. and by Vicki Scott Burns. All rights reserved. www.Bibleshareware.org

1 comment:

  1. Wonderfully written. A perfect 'picture' of our walk in faith and God's work in us. Thank you for sharing! <3

    Rene'

    ReplyDelete