Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Hardly Recognizable


In my previous post, I posed this question: whom do you serve? I offer this post for further reflection.

Hardly Recognizable
by Vicki Scott Burns 

Poised at her dressing table
she glams herself like a beauty queen
adding layer after layer
‘til the transformation is complete
Then perched on a lonely barstool
You can hardly recognize
the woman hidden there, somewhere behind her eyes
She knew You once, but then set You aside…

He’s out the door by 6 AM
no time to see the wife or kids
An indentured corporate servant
his life is no longer his
As he climbs the corporate ladder
You can hardly recognize
the man hidden there, somewhere behind his eyes
He knew You once, but then set You aside

Bit by bit they start to falter
step by step they start to fall
until they are hardly recognizable at all

As I stumble through life’s hallways
the floors are littered with my sin
I keep tripping over idols
that I treasure deep within
Before I reach my destination
I'd like to recognize
the holiness of God reflected in my eyes
I know you, Lord—but I set You aside

Bit by bit I start to falter
step by step I start to fall
In me, are You recognizable at all?
It’s gonna take a bit of work
it’s gonna take a bit of time
before the world can clearly recognize
the image of the Savior in my eyes
so that I am hardly recognizable at all
Copyright © 2006 by Vicki Scott Burns and by Bibleshareware.org, IncAll rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment